Sunday, September 13, 2009

message to the artist - My thought process...

I try to keep my colors very between a minimum of 2 and max of 3.
For some strange reason, the minute u add more stuff, it starts lookin'
like ehh.. crap.

So this was for a small business and they just wanted their names and
a symbol. It wasn't too hard to do.

When people start out, I think one of the big problems is how to charge for
your time. The fact is you can charge what you want depending on who your
client is and how much work you intend to put in.

I spend a lot of time researching and checking out references and related logos.
What also takes my time is sketching. I tend to do tonnes and tonnes of sketches
sometimes I copy other peoples work over and over till I create my own original
piece. The fact is, you are not going to create anything new, but you can make
something more interesting, and people like interesting... hence I spend a lot of
time trying to polish the visual interest of my logos. I keep a strong record of how
long I spent on a logo and I charge my clients accordingly.

So the answer to how much do I charge the client, its how much time I spend working
on it.

What I also love to do is bounce ideas of clients as much as I can. What is the nature of your
business? What do you sell? who is your target market? ... this helps me solidify my logo design.
I wont make a grungy logo for a toy store.



No comments:

Post a Comment